[Rasch] Logit scores

Barth Riley barthr at uic.edu
Wed Dec 21 07:27:11 EST 2005

I have encountered this problem myself. While 0-100 is a nice "intuitive"
scoring convention, it's resemblance to percentages is problematic. Perhaps
another scaling range would avoid this problem. Another approach would be to
create criterion-based norms by having clinical experts identify the ranges
for low, medium, high satisfaction. Showing a variable map might also help
to provide a context for the measurements. The interpretation of change
along a measurement needs to take into consideration whether we are talking
about individual change or group/sample change. While it may be possible for
an individual's measure to increase from say, 50-60 up to an 80-90, mean
change of this magnitude is far less likely for a group (e.g., hospital
unit). How one conveys this to end users is another question!

Barth

Barth Riley, Ph.D.

Res. Asst. Professor & Associate Program Director

Dept. of Disability and Human Development M/C 626

University of Illinois-Chicago

1640 W. Roosevelt Rd.

Chicago, IL 60608

Voice (312) 355-4054