[Rasch] A practical one

Trevor Bond trevor.bond at jcu.edu.au
Mon Oct 10 15:36:59 EST 2005

dear John et al.,

my response was not intended to be trite, but you go to the heart of
the matter here:
>Hopefully the purpose of education is not merely rote learning and
memorisation.

If that really is the case, then the testing would not advantage
those who have seen the test before and merely pass by a little:
rote learning and memorisation.
That was the reason for the high jump analogy. I fear that we espouse
high educational principles and then write tests like the one to
which you refer. We say we want problem solving but test memory and
so go to enormous trouble to keep the test secret.

Best wishes
Trevor

--
Trevor G BOND Ph D