[Rasch] A practical one

Agustin Tristan ici_kalt at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 12 01:39:12 EST 2005

Hello:
Concerning the same problem.
We are testing students leaving the university, they
need to pass the test in order to be certified to
become teachers. Every year we have to build 8
different tests (8 specialities, about 100 Multiple
choice items each test), and a single student has to
pass only the test of his/her specialty (Math, Natural
Sciences, Social Sciences, Literature, etc.). We
include about 15-20 items from previous exams, the
remaining are new items of the same type and
specifications.
About 2000 students are tested every year, but  some
1300 are trying to be pass the test for the first time
(called the focal group), while the 700 remaining are
trying to be certified again (called the remanent
group) (some of them are in their 3rd year trial!). It
can be seen that the test is passed  by 70% of the
focal group, while it is passed only by less than 20%
of the remanent group.
In this situation we have checked that remanent group
even with the previous contact of the test, don't have
an advantage versus the focal group due to several
reasons: They are out of the school for more than 6
months, so their knowledge and  abilities are in a
very low level; they don't study or perform additional
activities to improve their abilities in preparation
for the test; the universities are not providing
special remedial activities to recover those
students...

A different problem but related to this issue concerns
the diffusion of the item bank. In this case it is
clear that the use of the items from a "safe" item
bank or from an "open" item bank is testing a
different thing on the students who are in contact
with the bank in comparison with those students who
are not.

Regards
Agustin Tristan

http://www.education.murdoch.edu.au/educ_RaschCourse2005.html