[Rasch] Rashing to judgement :>

Tim Pelton tpelton at uvic.ca
Sat Oct 22 04:55:55 EST 2005

Hi Martin,

We have developed a fairly simple program called PairWiseCompare that can be
used to support the
collection of data and subsequently allow for the Rasch analysis of the
relative scale locations of these
likert terms (actually the pairwise comparison of anything). We were intending
on doing something very
similar to what you are proposing - and would be happy to collaborate on this
with you if you are
interested.

Although I do recollect that there was some earlier works investigating the
same issue, I think that the
process used was ordinal only.

Tim

>===== Original Message From martin1 at cwnet.xom =====
>Hi,
>I am Martin Schaaf, Marriage, Family & Child Counselor.  I'm attracted to
this list because I've
discovered that Rasch analysis helps me decide what to believe, what tools to
use, et cetera.

>I have some provocative questions:
>
>When Likart response scales were developed, they were _assumed_ to be scales,
as best as I can tell.
That is, "Always" was assumed to be a stronger response than "Almost Always,"
et cetera. (At the end of
my message is a list of Likart response items culled from the Net.

>QUESTION 1:  Could Rasch analysis be used to study the Likart response items
for scalability?  (My
suspicion is, yes, but how?)

>QUESTION 2:  Would the scale items change with change of context?  (My
suspicion is, Yes.)

>QUESTION 3:  Should part of test development include scaling the Likart
response items for each test,
perhaps even each item?  (Again, my suspicion is, Yes.)

>Regards to All,
>Martin Schaaf
>

>Collected Likart Response Items:
>AGREEMENT
>Completely Agree, Agree Very Strongly, Agree Strongly, Strongly Agree, Agree
Moderately, Slightly
Agree, Agree Slightly, Mostly Agree, Agree, Tend to Agree, Not Sure,
Undecided, Tend to Disagree,
Disagree, Mostly Disagree, Disagree Strongly, Disagree Very Strongly,
Completely Disagree

>FREQUENCY:
>Always, Almost Always, Very Frequently,  To a Considerable Degree, A Great
Deal, Much, Frequently,
Usually, Sometimes, Occasionally, About Half the Time, Little, Seldom, Rarely,
Very Rarely, Never

>IMPORTANCE
>Extremely Important, Very Important, Important, Moderately Important, Of
Little Importance,
Unimportant, Extremely Unimportant

>QUALITY
>Excellent, Very Good, Good, Above Average, Barely Acceptable, Average, Fair,
Below Average, Poor,
Very Poor, Extremely Poor

>LIKELIHOOD
>True of Myself, Definitely, Almost Always True, Usually True, Mostly True of
Myself, Very Probably, To
a Great Extent, Like Me, Often True, Probably, Possibly, Somewhat, Very
Little, About Halfway True of
Myself, Occasionally True, Probably Not, Sometimes But Infrequently True,
Slightly True Of Myself,
Usually Not True, Unlike Me, Very Probably Not, Almost Never True, Not at All
True of Myself, Not at All