[Rasch] IOMW 2006 Call for Proposals

Diane Allen askrick at well.com
Fri Oct 28 09:57:37 EST 2005

[Please accept our apologies for cross-posting.]

*Call for Proposals: IOMW 2006*

13th International Objective Measurement Workshop
University of California, Berkeley, CA, USA
April 5–7, 2006
http://bearcenter.berkeley.edu/IOMW2006/

*Important Deadlines*
November 21, 2005: Suggesting topics for open symposia and
post-conference workshops
*January 16, 2006: Submitting symposia and individual papers*

*Conference theme: Measurement as a constructive endeavor*
This year's conference will offer attendees and presenters an
opportunity to reflect on the centrality
of the practice of measuring within our work in objective measurement,
whether in the construction
of instruments or in the development of models and technologies to
support measurement.

A focus on the practice of measuring requires us to keep in mind the
ultimate contributions of our
work toward making meaningful, valid, and reliable characterizations of
people and institutions that
are often used as the basis for high-impact decisions about their
future. In the service of measuring,
the Rasch measurement model is a necessary but not sufficient condition
for sustaining confidence
in our work; we must consider other aspects of the design, development,
and practical use of measures,
including issues of construct theory, item design, interpretation,
training, and implementation.

In holding with the theme of the conference, we invite submitters to
situate their work within the larger
context of the practice of measuring. Papers focusing upon the
relationship between the theoretical
foundations of measurement and the practical use of measures in the
field are particularly welcome.

*Symposia & Individual papers*
Please submit either themed symposia or individual papers. Symposia
should be timed to fit into a 90
minute format and structured to encourage audience participation.
Individual papers will be grouped
together with others on similar topics. In the event a high number of
submissions are received, some
individual papers may be grouped to form interactive poster sessions.

*Post-sessions and workshops*
Participants may register separately for post-sessions and workshops
held on Friday morning. Information
about post-sessions can be found on the conference website.

For more information on submission procedures and requirements, please
visit the conference website:* http://bearcenter.berkeley.edu/IOMW2006/*
Registration for the conference opens December 1, 2005.