[Rasch] Threshol Disordering

Jim Sick jimsick at iname.com
Wed Dec 20 00:31:48 EST 2006

Cloze tests are prone to item dependence, and in my experience
dichotomously-scored cloze items tend to overfit (i.e., Infit MNSQ below
.70). The likely reason is that context provides clues and the more
items one gets, the more context one has to deduce the remaining items,
lending an advantage to the more able test takers and inflating item
discrimination. That said, I think the primary determinants of
difficulty are lexical frequency, morphology, the overall complexity of
the passage, and the ratio of deleted words to total words. I would
treat the four passages as a single, 100 item test. Just be aware that
reliability indicators, especially sample-based statistics such as
alpha, could be inflated and misleading.

Also, are responses selected from a list of words, or open ended? In the
example given, I can think of at least three acceptable answers for the
second deletion (entities, bodies, countries).

Jim Sick
Obirin University
Tokyo, Japan