[Rasch] Number of options in survey questions

Looveer, Juho Juho.Looveer at det.nsw.edu.au
Tue Feb 28 00:05:27 EST 2006

Colleagues

Something much simpler than recent issues . . .

Years ago I was advised that we should use an even number of options for any survey questions (ie those with Likert-type responses); ( e.g. never - rarely - often - always)
This would avoid the central tendency for respondents.

However, most commercial surevys use an odd number of options ( e.g. never - rarely - sometimes - often - always)

I am interested in any articles that discuss this issue, or any general comments from erudite practitioners.

Regards

Juho

Dr Juho Looveer
Manager, Data Collection