[Rasch] Number of options in survey questions

Michael Lamport Commons commons at tiac.net
Tue Feb 28 04:49:37 EST 2006

Me too.  I always use 4 or 6

My Best,

Michael Lamport Commons, Ph.D.
Assistant Clinical Professor
Program in Psychiatry and the Law
Department of Psychiatry
Harvard Medical School
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
234 Huron Avenue
Cambridge, MA 02138-1328

Telephone (617) 497-5270
Facsimile (617) 491-5270
Commons at tiac.net
http://dareassociation.org/

----- Original Message -----
From: "Looveer, Juho" <Juho.Looveer at det.nsw.edu.au>
To: <rasch at acer.edu.au>; <rasch at wu-wien.ac.at>
Sent: Monday, February 27, 2006 8:05 AM
Subject: [Rasch] Number of options in survey questions

Colleagues

Something much simpler than recent issues . . .

Years ago I was advised that we should use an even number of options for any
survey questions (ie those with Likert-type responses); ( e.g. never -
rarely - often - always)
This would avoid the central tendency for respondents.

However, most commercial surevys use an odd number of options ( e.g. never -
rarely - sometimes - often - always)

I am interested in any articles that discuss this issue, or any general
comments from erudite practitioners.

Regards

Juho

Dr Juho Looveer