[Rasch] Paired Comparisons and Rasch software

Mike Linacre (RMT) rmt at rasch.org
Fri Jan 13 08:04:36 EST 2006

Dear Don et al.

Paired comparison with standard Rasch software is straight-forward, e.g.,
www.rasch.org/rmt/rmt113o.htm - There is no requirement for complete
pairings, balanced pairings, etc. But there is a need for a linked network
of pairings, or for constraints on the estimation with an equivalent
effect. This has been applied in many sporting situations, for instance to
College Basketball including in the comparison home court advantage:
www.winsteps.com/ncbrank.htm - this is discussed at
www.rasch.org/rmt/rmt151w.htm - where the paired comparison model is
adjusted to allow for many "real world" aspects of the NCAA competition.

Bradley-Terry is a Rasch model, e.g., www.rasch.org/rmt/rmt92d.htm

Thurstone's methods usually give results similar to Rasch.

Mike Linacre