[Rasch] counts to scale conversion

Andrew Kyngdon A.Kyngdon at eaa.unsw.edu.au
Mon Jan 23 12:32:52 EST 2006

In my opinion, Option 3...

Andrew Kyngdon, PhD MAPS

EAA Postdoctoral Fellow

Educational Assessment Australia

P.O. Box 8020

ALEXANDRIA NSW 2015, AUSTRALIA

Ph. +61283441040

Fax. +61283441085

-----Original Message-----
From: rasch-bounces at acer.edu.au [mailto:rasch-bounces at acer.edu.au] On Behalf Of Agustin Tristan
Sent: Monday, 23 January 2006 12:08 PM
To: renselange at earthlink.net; trevor.bond at jcu.edu.au; rasch at acer.edu.au
Subject: RE: [Rasch] counts to scale conversion

Hi! I'm trying to follow this topic concerning crickets and scales.

In abstract:  Which is better?

1) The simple linear model even if it doesn't fit (the linear model for the crickets' case).

2) Any model who permits us to fit the data (the exp(something) looks to be like that).

3) A theoretical model telling us (and the crickets too) how is the way crickets should adjust the frequency of  the noise they produce according to temperature...specially if this theoretical model is exp(someting) because it looks more interesting or impressive.

I like Nature and its relationship with math and for me it was interesting to know that crickets may use the exponential (even if they don't care about the mathematical formulation), as well as the seeds in sunflowers grow exponentially from their center, or the snails grow their shell, or the ivy plants grow in an helical 3D curve, or the soil slopes (in soil mechanics) become unstable and fail according to a logarithmic spiral, or the growth of populations follows a logistic model, and so forth... I can also recognize that I prefer objective items that behave as the Rasch model, but...I cannot decide in all those case which is better between (1), (2) and (3)...

Regards

Agustin Tristan

Rense <renselange at earthlink.net> wrote:

	All this illustrates that if we want to stay in business as test gurus then
	we'd better forget about meaningful item hierarchies, sample independence,
	additive measures, and other such niceties. Rather, using methods whose
	results need to be recalibrated for boys, girls, old, and young, ..,
	whatever, ... - and adding a few things like "log(exp(something ...))" to
	our tech reports - should greatly help with job security. :)

	Rense Lange