[Rasch] counts to scale conversion

William Fisher wfisher at avatar-intl.com
Tue Jan 24 02:43:30 EST 2006

Regarding the model as an ideal disconnected from reality forgets that the data may be derived from questions that may be irrelevant, poorly formulated, or off-construct for some other reason, or that some respondents may not belong to the intended population.

Why try to describe data that are not reproducible and replicable? How well do we understand a construct when the only data we can produce are not theoretically tractable, and so remain tied to particular questions and respondents? It seems pretty cynical to me to do research with the sole aim of applying fancy statistics to data, publishing articles, and advancing one's own career, while deliberately limiting your potential for generalizing your results past your own local samples of persons and items because you choose models and methods that do not push you toward the highest possible level of generality.

I vote for 3. Strong construct theory is not automatically implied by strong measurement theory. Being able to predict item difficulties when the items have been previously calibrated is great, but the real goal is to be able to predict their calibrations on the basis of their theoretical properties, in the manner of Lexiles or Commons' stage scoring system.

When we have this, then we're getting somewhere. After all, imagine how different our economic lives would be if rulers, weight scales, thermometers, clocks, volt meters, and the resistance properties of every meter of every type of electrical cable all had to be calibrated individually on data, instead of en masse, by theory....  Theoretical predictability is the mark of a real science, where we understand a variable to the point that we can recognize it for what it is in any amount when we see it.

After all, don't we say that a basic mark of knowing what we're talking about is being able to put it in our own words? Shouldn't any valid articulation of a construct be a viable medium for measuring in a univerally uniform reference standard metric?

Jack Stenner has recently done some work describing several more than three stages of this kind in the development of measurable constructs....  Maybe we can get him to weigh in....

William P. Fisher, Jr., Ph.D.
AVATAR INTERNATIONAL INC.
WFisher at avatar-intl.com