[Rasch] counts to scale conversion

William Fisher wfisher at avatar-intl.com
Tue Jan 24 03:26:48 EST 2006

.96 vs .94 translates to about an entire unit of the SD/error ratio (separation, G), so maybe the Rasch scaled money is not just "a little" worse in predicting, but significantly.

Where .94 gives a G of 4, .96 gives 5. The difference between .94 and .96 is the same, in terms of the separation, as between .50 and .80, .80 and .90, .90 and .94, .96 and .973, .973 and .985, .985 and .988, etc...

On the other hand, is the log money over-predicting, in a sample-dependent sort of way? Does the Rasch method work more consistently over samples? If not, what is being lost in the Rasch estimation process? Do the results stay constant across estimation methods (JMLE, unconditional, Monte Carlo, PROX, etc.)? If not, do one or more of them better approximate the log money?

William P. Fisher, Jr., Ph.D.
AVATAR INTERNATIONAL INC.
WFisher at avatar-intl.com