[Rasch] Re: Urgent question

iasonas lambrianou liasonas at lycos.com
Sun Jan 29 04:19:48 EST 2006

Dear friends,
I have a very urgent question, anyone who can contribute, please do so

We use the t-scores (z scores) of the examinees on high stakes tests to sort them according to their ability.
When the distribution of the raw scores deviates a lot from the normal, then the t-scores look a bit 'strange'. Do you also agree that t-scores can not be used when the distribution deviates substantially from the normal?
Also, I can transform the raw scores using y=ln(x/(100-x)) and the distribution of the raw scores becomes normal. Then, I can get more 'beautiful' t scores (z scores). Am I allowed to use this transformation and then get the t scores?

Thanks

Jason