[Rasch] Unidimensionality and Rasch measurement

Looveer, Juho Juho.Looveer at det.nsw.edu.au
Mon Jul 24 11:05:17 EST 2006

Jim

Unidimensionality applies to a scale, or a set of items  e.g. a test on
algebra

The first issue often is face validity, which should be checked during
test construction - do the items come from the same domain?  Is there a
theoretical basis for the items to be from the same "dimension" -
whether a specific topic like algebra, or as a general indicator of some
trait.

When you analyse results from a different population, the statistics
from common Rasch software (e.g. RUMM, Winsteps) will routinely provide
some indicators of fit to the model.

If the results verify that the items are unidimensional for one
population, that seems fine.
If the same items do not appear to be unidimensional for a different
population (i.e. there are problems with the fit of some items), this
would suggest some differential item performance to me.  Some items have
elicited different responses from the two populations; there is some
underlying reason for this which needs to be considered. Perhaps a
language issues, or the second group had not been taught a certain topic
that was included in the test, etc.

Give me a call sometime if you wish to discuss further.  It may be a
specific or unique problem or sets of data to which you are referring.

Regards

Juho

Dr Juho Looveer
Manager, Data Collection