[Rasch] fit analysis / rating scale dilemma (please help)

Ari Maunuksela ama at UWasa.fi
Tue Jun 6 06:08:19 EST 2006

Hi,

The question of applicable rating scale might also depend on the
characteristics of the modelling approach. Some decision making or
marketing research study methods utilise double ended rating scales. In
these the purpose is often create modelling premise for compromises,
relationships, or priorities between alternatives.

The evaluation of the fittness or statistical quality of the data and
models are respectively based on a different set of methods. For example,
in decision making research where AHP (Analytic hierarchy process) is
often used, the fittness statistics focus on internal consistency of the
ratings, even from small number of respondents or groups. These statistics
are not based on large sample sizes such as in factor analysis.

For my own research I used -7 ..+7 scale, as a way to model balance
between two conflicting outcome categories, where managerial balance in
decision making is theoretically applicable as a modelling approach.
Analysis of the data covered small group interviews from 5-13 people
groups.

We do currently some research work in a research group developing new
analysis tools for modelling of managerial interpretation/ratings, where
this kind of double end anchored rating scales are applied. Development
of the fittness statistics and critical evaluation rules are also addressed
in this study.

In our research approach, we also try to find complementary perspectives
between methods. IE. we can utilise a widely tested questionnaire
from educational/leadership research, which we then re-formulate into
another kind of questionnaire, where main model dimensions of the
previous method are used as guidelines for the development of new
questions. Then the idea is to find alternative aspects of a same
phenomena with different kind of questionnairres, but based on similar
core concepts, but modelled in different ways.

In the work carried out so far, the middle point on a rating scale has
been included as an alternative, but the evaluation of the data is based
on a modified calculation of the inconsistency ratio.

I would be interested in discussing related questions and literature,
where described characteristics of rating scales and their fittness
analysis are addressed.

with best regards,

Ari Maunuksela
Espoo, Finland