[RE][Rasch] JAM Reviewers

Mark Moulton MarkM at eddata.com
Thu Oct 12 02:08:00 EST 2006

Dear Jason,

I think there is a lot to recommend this design.  It deftly makes security
concerns something of a non-issue, provides clear direction on how to
prepare for the test, and can be set up all at once through matrix sampling.
Items can be added to the bank at any time.  It permits adaptive and
conventional form administration and allows you to equate forms across
different difficulty levels and target specific populations.  The use of OE
items seems very sensible in this context.

On the down side, public exposure of the items is likely to degrade item
difficulty more rapidly over time, and there may be differential item
effects between examinees who figure out how to study them and examinees who
come to the test cold.  They are also likely to increase "teaching to the
test", though the use of OE items makes this less of a bad thing.

I would track item drift by holding some items in reserve, used on rare
occasions to measure the degree to which the public items are drifting
relative to the reserved items.

I have actually heard of your design being implemented in one of the state
assessments -- one of the southern states, Kentucky maybe, ... I can't
remember.  I do seem to recall that they were pleased with the results.

Mark Moulton

Educational Data Systems