[Rasch] item bank

Mark Moulton MarkM at eddata.com
Thu Oct 12 07:00:30 EST 2006

Iasonas et. al.,

To support Don's point a different way, to the degree pre-knowledge of
individual items influences a student's performance on the test, the item
becomes less independent of the examinee, violating the parameter
separability requirement of Rasch.

However, this effect can be expected to diminish the larger the size of the
published item bank since performance on the test as a whole becomes less
related to previous experience with any individual item.  How large a bank
is large enough?  I don't know.  Ideally, the bank should be as "large" as
the content domain as a whole -- the set of all possible non-duplicating
items -- certainly larger than any single student can reasonably memorize.
In practice, a bank of 1000 items or more feels like it might be sufficient.

The side-effect of published test preparation materials is not trivial.  I
might counter by reserving for the test a version of the item which is
written differently, to foil rote memorization, but which can be expected to
be of equivalent difficulty.  In this context, open-ended items are less
prone to rote memorization than multiple choice, but test-specific variants
of the question would still be helpful.

Mark Moulton
Educational Data Systems