[RE]Re: [Rasch] item bank

Lang, William Steve WSLang at tempest.coedu.usf.edu
Wed Oct 25 21:26:55 EST 2006

We have used an open item bank (we call it an assessment task library) in Florida.  With performance tasks necessary for teacher certification, most performances and products are required to be rated on a rubric at an "minimally acceptable" level.  Most allow multiple tries for the teacher candidate to pass.  The items that are standards-based are known to those who are to be assessed.

The initial item analysis, calibration, and subsequent reporting are Rasch based.  In Florida we have approximately 45 "tasks" and 350 "items" (criteria) that must be completed.  Think of it like this...to be a pilot, you must demonstrate you can land the plane.   Items are the criteria that provide evidence that you can land the plane successfully.

In another example, think of a set of items that are skilled-based like the famous Knox Cube data.  Can a test-taker "cheat"?

The idea is to deal with difficulty by avoiding knowledge-based items that in favor of performance-based items.  It's more difficult and expensive to perform a large number of items over a longitudinal time and deal with professional raters, but from a validity standpoint it makes sense as job-related.   You can already imagine why rater-error diagnosis (FACETS) is useful.

We have found some interesting results comparing the Rasch difficulties from the first try of candidates to the second or third try.   If items become "easy", it says something about the mentoring/training of a program and the "teachability" of the items.  I hope that makes sense.  "Lesson planning" seems to improve rapidly with training, but "classroom management"  improves more slowly (some never get it).   Some items are relatively easy, but necessary for teachers; like "communication with parents".  Others are difficult, but also necessary; "assessment accomodations for special students".   We wrote an initial report for JAM.

In a book to be releases next month:  "Assessing Teacher Competency: Five Standards-Based Steps to Valid Measurements Using the CAATS Model" , we (myself and Judy Wilkerson) describe Rasch and the reasons for using Rasch to a general audience, but we expect the performance items to typically be known to all the users.  http://www.corwinpress.com/booksProdDesc.nav?prodId=Book229866

Steve Lang
University of South Florida