[Rasch] Incredible comments on Rasch

Stone, Gregory gstone at UTNet.UToledo.Edu
Sat Sep 30 08:46:46 EST 2006

About 1 or 2 years ago, Educational Researcher published in its Opinion section, an interview with noted scholar Gene Glass.  Among his quite valid points were notions of the dominant paradigm regarding "published literature."  Glass' remarks suggest we exist in a politically driven, dark age - where knowledge is sorted by "peers" into what is worthy and what is not.  Were these decisions made on a dispassionate basis, perhaps, there would be less of a problem.  However, we all know this is not the case.  We all are aware of journals to which scholars who make use of Rasch need not submit articles.  The greatest minds of our discipline would be rejected on the basis of political ignorance and discrimination.  Your description is too limited to suggest that this is indeed one of those cases, but being blunt, were I to guess, I would tend to believe it is Rasch in general that fueled the rejection - and for silly reasons.  Attitude is not linear?  Then it cannot be measured as all measures are linear - it is a requirement.  Furthermore, if attitude is not measurable (linear) then we better scrap everything we've ever done since Thurstone.

Journals including JAM are all the more important - as they allow for more than one expression.

Gene Glass' modesty aside his wisdom is remarkably on target in so many ways.  Who are we to limit the dissemination on knowledge?  If it is bad research, it will be judged so.  But that judgment cannot come from a handful of narrowminded individuals.  In the age of mass communication, let the reader decide what is and is not reasonable.  Eric - look to other publications and publication vehicles.  We need to see and hear of your own discoveries and wisdom.

Gregory

Gregory E. Stone, Ph.D., M.A.

Assistant Professor of Research and Measurement
The Judith Herb College of Education
The University of Toledo, Mailstop #923
Toledo, OH 43606   419-530-7224

Editorial Board, Journal of Applied Measurement     www.jampress.org