[Rasch] unfolding models and Rasch

Agustin Tristan ici_kalt at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 28 23:43:12 EST 2007

Hello, I'm wondering if a rating scale could be useful for that. The idea you have seems to me very similar to a Likert scale, where you focus on the category where you agree.
  Hope it helps.
  Agustin

Donald Bacon <dbacon at du.edu> wrote:
  Hi Raschers -

I'm working with a scale wherein respondents read a scenario and then rate how similar each of several statements are to their own way of thinking about the scenario. In this way we hope to locate where each respondent is on a latent trait called reflective judgment, as well as calibrate each of the statements.

It occurs to me, however, that this is not like a common Rasch analysis. For example, a respondent at a level 4 on a 7 level latent trait will rate both a level 1 statement and a level 7 statement as being highly dissimilar to his or her way of thinking. Thus, response probabilities do not increase monotonically with respondent ability. Would some type of unfolding model work better? Or is there some way to model this in Rasch?

Thanks for any insight you might have -

Don Bacon

Associate Professor of Marketing

Daniels College of Business