[Rasch] Constructing Variables

Snider-Lotz, Tom tsnider-lotz at previsor.com
Sat Dec 8 03:54:43 EST 2007

The IOMW conference next March looks very interesting, but I must admit that I don't understand the theme, "Constructing Variables."  I know this is a common phrase in the Rasch world, and has been the theme for several issues of the Journal of Applied Measurement -- but still I don't know quite what it means.  What is the difference between a constructed variable and one that's not constructed?  What's involved in constructing a variable?  If I run test results through Winsteps, are the item measures constructed variables?

I work in employment selection testing, and when I think of variables I think of test scores, supervisory ratings of performance, number of words typed per minute, number of units sold, and so forth.  Would these be included in the domain of variables to be discussed at this conference, and are any of them "constructed"?

Thanks for any clarification you might offer.

  -- Tom Snider