[Rasch] Modeling sequenced data

Theo Dawson theo at devtestservice.com
Sat Dec 8 05:45:42 EST 2007

My colleagues and I have been collecting data with an instrument
called the "sort task" for several years. The task involves sorting a
set of ten statements into the order in which it would have been
possible for one individual to have made them over the course of 40
years. (They end up being ordered from 01 to 10.)

We now have hundreds of cases, and would like to model the results. We
already know that the modal order for each group we have tested is
virtually always accurate, and that higher level statements are more
difficult to order than lower level statements there must be a way to
use the Rasch model to observe the difference in difficulty between
sorting lower level statements and higher level statements. We also
have data on age, education, and the techniques people use to do the
sort and will be examining the relation between these variables and
sort accuracy.

I've never tried to model data of this type. Can anyone help?

Take the Sort Task Challenge at:  http://devtestservice.com/sorttasklead.php

Theo Linda Dawson, Ph.D.
President & CEO, Developmental Testing Service, LLC (DTS)
35 South Park Terrace
Northampton, MA 01060

http://www.devtestservice.com
http://www.lectica.info
theo at devtestservice.com

Cell  413-320-5919
Office  413-303-1484
FAX 413-303-9041

At the Developmental Testing Service, LLC (DTS), we are dedicated to
developing assessments that capture the transformations in thinking
that occur up to 13 times over the course of the lifespan. Each of
these transformations leads to a more complex, integrated, and
adequate way of thinking. Whereas traditional tests do a good job
examining what people know, our tests examine what people know AND how
they think about what they know.

This message contains PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION intended
solely for the use of the addressee(s) named above. Any disclosure,
distribution, copying or use of the information by others is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please advise
the sender by immediate reply and delete the original message and any
and all attachments. Thank you.