FW: [Rasch] Constructing Variables

rsmith.arm at att.net rsmith.arm at att.net
Wed Dec 12 07:15:23 EST 2007

Dear Tom,

First, you might start with Mark Wilson's book Constructing measures: An item response modeling approach (Erlbaum).  In this case I think that the terms measures and variables are almost interchangeable.

Second, you might look at the first paragraph inside the back cover of the Journal of Applied Measurement.  It says in part  "The construction and interpretation of meaningful and unambiguous variables is a salient feature of measurement. It represents the congruence of measurement theory and substantive research in a wide range of scientific endeavors. The development of variables that map the persons and items onto a common metric, operational defined by the items, that are invariant across samples of persons and items, is a cornerstone of developing an understanding of the phenomena being measured and the construction and verification of hypotheses based on these phenomena."

Third, you might propose a symposium for IOMW and organize together a group of measurement experts to discuss their views of the constructing variables as opposed to accounting for sources of person variance.

Hope to see you in New York at IOMW!

Richard
--
Richard M. Smith, Editor