[Rasch] NCLB, anchor items, and a Common Core (was: how many anchor items do I need)

Stuart Luppescu s-luppescu at uchicago.edu
Sat Jul 14 00:17:40 EST 2007

On 金, 2007-07-13 at 09:40 -0400, Steven L. Kramer wrote:
> Dear Rasch colleagues,
>
> Here are my current thoughts about using Common Core items to improve
> U.S. No Child Left Behind tests.  They are written for a non-technical
> audience and intentionally kept short.  I incorporated some of the
> earlier discussion on this list-serve about the limitations of
> equating given different sets of standards, although in very
> abbreviated form.
>
> What do you-all think?

Very interesting idea. It certainly will make it possible to compare
across states, while maintaining a good deal of local autonomy. It will
also leave the standard setting procedure up to the states, although
after this it will be clear which states have unusually low (or high)
standards. The only potential problem I anticipate is the guys who
developed NAEP getting their fingers into the process, making the
results opaque, obfuscated and useless.

--
Stuart Luppescu -=-=- slu <AT> ccsr <DOT> uchicago <DOT> edu
CCSR at U of C ,.;-*^*-;.,  ccsr.uchicago.edu