[Rasch] NCLB, anchor items, and a common core

Gary Williamson gwilliamson at lexile.com
Thu Jul 19 22:45:53 EST 2007

Dear Colleagues,
Jack Stenner asked me to offer two papers to this discussion.
Unfortunately, my first attempt to attach them resulted in a message
that exceeds the listserv's capacity, and it was rejected by the
moderator.  So I am listing two sources where you may view or download
the papers.

First, Student Readiness for Postsecondary Endeavors presents a text
continuum spanning from the end of high school through various
postsecondary options (e.g., military, workplace, postsecondary
education) that students may consider.  This paper may be downloaded
from ERIC at the link:
http://www.eric.ed.gov/ERICWebPortal/Home.portal?_nfpb=true&eric_viewSty
le=list&ERICExtSearch_SearchValue_0=Williamson&searchtype=basic&NARROWpu
bDateRangeTo=2007&ERICExtSearch_SearchType_0=au&NARROWkeyword_search=pos
tsecondary&pageSize=10&eric_displayNtriever=true&eric_displayStartCount=
1&NARROWpubDateRangeFrom=2005&_pageLabel=RecordDetails&objectId=0900000b
80628ded&accno=ED491516&_nfls=false

The second paper,  Aligning the Journey with a Destination, presents an
example combining this information with an average growth curve
determined from North Carolina longitudinal data.  It may be viewed at
the following link:
http://www.lexile.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?view=ed&tabindex=0&tabid=1&tab
pageid=436 .  Simply click on the name of the paper in the list.

Hope these perspectives may be of interest.

Respectfully,
Gary L. Williamson, Ph.D.
Senior Research Associate
MetaMetrics, Inc., Developers of the Lexile Framework
1000 Park Forty Plaza Drive, Suite 120
Durham, NC  27713

Main:  919-547-3400, or 1-888-LEXILES
Fax:  919-547 3401