[Rasch] Mean diferences and measurement error

Andrés Burga León 21781 at upch.edu.pe
Sun Jun 3 01:58:47 EST 2007

Hello to everybody on the list:

I was thinking about this subject and I wan’t to know your opinions:

In every statistical test, you found that if you wan’t to assess mean
differences you could use a simple t test: (mean1 – mean 2) / standard
error. But this formula only considers the sampling error. It assumes
perfect reliability.

What about the measurement error? Why didn’t consider it in the assessment
of mean differences. I’m not expert in this subject, but could it be
possible to made a linear composite of sampling error and measurement error?
I mean something like sqrt(sampling error^2 + measurement error^2) and so
assess better mean groups differences?

Many greetings

Andrés

Mg. Andrés Burga León