[Rasch] Mean diferences and measurement error

Donald Bacon dbacon at du.edu
Tue Jun 5 08:02:18 EST 2007

I have a related question -- what about correcting for measurement error when there is also sampling error?

I've asked experts to count the number of errors in a writing sample.  I can compute the inter-rater correlation, and thus can estimate the reliability of the measures (I'm working on doing this in Facets also).  However, each sample of writing is just one sample that an individual could produce.  Therefore, there is also sampling error, which can be estimated by examining the distribution of errors within the writing sample.  Small writing samples have higher sampling error than large writing samples, even though the reliability may be the same.

Now when I examine the correlation between these ratings of writing samples and some other measure (I have an objectively-scored, Rasch-modeled measure), and I want to correct for measurement error to estimate the latent correlation, shouldn't I adjust for measurement error and sampling error?  (Does anyone have a good cite on this?)

Don Bacon
Associate Professor of Marketing
University of Denver