[Rasch] Mean diferences and measurement error

Hoi Suen HoiSuen at psu.edu
Tue Jun 5 09:02:10 EST 2007

Don,

The "sampling error" referred to in Andres' original post was the error
of sampling subjects. Your situation has to do with the error of
sampling tasks. In fact, there are other additional "sampling errors";
such as the error of sampling raters, of occasions, of ... From the
perspective of G-theory, measurement error is the error of sampling
various facets/dimensions -- other than the dimension of the intended
object of measurement (i.e., people).  To adjust for
measurement/sampling error in your correlation of writing samples and
other measures, I would suggest estimating the appropriate G-coefficient
for the writing samples and for the other measures and then apply a
standard correction for attenuation procedure.

(If these points about classical and G-theory is inappropriate for a
Rasch listserv, I apologize.)

Hoi