[Rasch] Graduate Student Seeking RM Assistance

Joe Albano joealbano2 at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 20 01:18:02 EST 2007

Hello -

Joe Albano here - I'm a graduate student looking for some assistance with my
dissertation research.

I attended the Rasch Workshop that Ev Smith and Richard Smith held in
Chicago in April this year. I am in the Psychology Program at Saybrook
Graduate School and Research Center in SF focusing on Organizational Systems
issues. It's a distance learning program - I'm based near Indianapolis.

I'm writing to ask for help with some work that I would like to do. Saybrook
tends to have a rather qualitative bent and I am attempting to design a
mixed method study for my dissertation. I believe that Rasch Measurement may
be appropriate for the quantitative component. I spoke to our director of
research who informed met that no Rasch expertise exists among the faculty
and that I would have to identify and engage outside expertise in order to
use Rasch methods.

I believe that the project will be relatively straightforward. -I'm
attempting to create an inventory to assess the strength of employee
engagement. The preexisting instruments I have been able to locate conflate
engagement and satisfaction.

I am requesting and would appreciate any assistance anyone can provide in
identifying a resource interested in helping me out. I'd also be interested
in publishing an article regarding my experience -if we determine that such
a basic application would add value to the literature - perhaps a cookbook
for basic scale development using RM. If such a cookbook already exists, any
pointers to it would be great!

Best regards,

Joe.

Joe Albano