[Rasch] FW: Item order

Snider-Lotz, Tom tsnider-lotz at previsor.com
Fri Mar 9 03:14:11 EST 2007

Actually Jane, I think it would be interesting to try two or more of
those methods and see how they compare -- but I expect you don't have
the time or subject pool to allow that.

Will the subjects be giving a yes/no response or will they be applying a
numerical rating?

If you arrange the items as triplets, you're essentially turning the
triplet into a single rating-scale item:

While watching this film, I felt
1 -- good
2 -- happy
3 -- elated

Because of that, I'd go with the complete randomization, though not
without a concern.  My concern, which applies to any method you use, is
that your results may be influenced by individual differences in
interpreting the words you use.  For example, to some people, "good" and
"happy" may be pretty close together in meaning, while for other people
they may be farther apart.  There may even be people who think "good" is
better than "happy."

Ultimately, I think I'd prefer to do this study with more traditional
rating scales, e.g.:

How happy did this film make you feel?
1 -- Not at all happy
2 -- A little happy
3 -- Happy
4 -- Very happy

(Not the best options, but you get the idea.)

 -- Tom