[Rasch] Interpretation of Item Plot

Stephen Humphry stephen.humphry at uwa.edu.au
Mon Mar 26 19:36:32 EST 2007

Mike, I provided two references -- they are included below again.

The wording is too strong? Perhaps it just requires some clarification.
Invariance is a requirement, and gives rise to sufficient statistics in
Rasch models. However, invariance may not hold empirically. Invariance is
implied by the algebraic structure of the model, but the requirement may not
be met in empirical data given the structure of the data.

Ordered thresholds and a corresponding latent deterministic Guttman response
subspace are implied analytically by the algebraic structure of the
polytomous Rasch model (Andrich, 1978, 2005).

However, ordering may not hold empirically. Perhaps you could point out
where you disagree either with my interpretation of the references or with
what is shown within them.

Ordered thresholds are a requirement in this sense. Of course, thresholds
can be estimated whether or not data conform with the model (in either the
dichotomous or polytomous case).

Hope this clarifies.

Steve.

Andrich, D. (1978). A rating formulation for ordered response categories.
Psychometrika, 43, 357-74.

Andrich, D. (2005). The Rasch model explained. In Sivakumar Alagumalai,
David D Durtis, and Njora Hungi (Eds.) Applied Rasch Measurement: A book of
exemplars. Springer-Kluwer. Chapter 3, 308-328.

  _____