[Rasch] Alternative Assessment Suggestions

Stone, Gregory gstone at UTNet.UToledo.Edu
Thu Mar 29 00:23:02 EST 2007

Hello all.

I am involved with a project assessing K-12 student achievement and am looking for non-traditional instruments within the "big four" topics of maths, science, language and social studies.  Many within education consistently complain that MCQ examinations do not appropriately assess achievement.  While I am not in that camp, I do believe assessment of student achievement must be multi-faceted. Unfortunately, there appears to be a great empty space where these non-MCQ exams should exist.  The alternative assessments I'm looking for could take any form but should be usable on a large scale.  While our initial project is small (one school) if we are to eventually move forward with a model that might be generalized elsewhere, we must be able to effectively and efficiently administer the exams.  While this is not strictly Rasch, I am looking (read: begging) for any suggestions.  As this is an international list, the assessments should be in English, or easily translatable without too many cultural specifics that would need to be addressed.

We are open to virtually anything - so here's a chance to demonstrate the effectiveness of alternatives to MCQ.

Many thanks,
Gregory

Gregory E. Stone, Ph.D., M.A.

Assistant Professor of Research and Measurement
The Judith Herb College of Education
The University of Toledo, Mailstop #914
Toledo, OH 43606   419-530-7224

Editorial Board, Journal of Applied Measurement     www.jampress.org