[Rasch] Alternative Assessment Suggestions

Trevor Bond trevor.bond at jcu.edu.au
Thu Mar 29 10:53:09 EST 2007

>Dear Gregory,

www.pisa.oecd.org

is the home of PISA international achievement comparative assessments

What PISA Assesses
Method of Assessment
Methods
Pencil-and-paper tests are used, with assessments lasting a total of
two hours for each student.
Test items are a mixture of multiple-choice items and questions
requiring students to construct their own responses. The items are
organised in groups based on a passage setting out a real-life
situation.
A total of about seven hours of test items is covered, with different
students taking different combinations of test items.
Students answer a background questionnaire, which takes 20-30 minutes
to complete, providing information about themselves and their homes.
School principals are given a 20-minute questionnaire about their
schools.

and
http://pisa-sq.acer.edu.au/
gives sample questions and marking schemes
Best
Trevor

>Hello all.
>
>I am involved with a project assessing K-12 student achievement and
>am looking for non-traditional instruments within the "big four"
>topics of maths, science, language and social studies.  Many within
>education consistently complain that MCQ examinations do not
>appropriately assess achievement.  While I am not in that camp, I do
>believe assessment of student achievement must be multi-faceted.
>Unfortunately, there appears to be a great empty space where these
>non-MCQ exams should exist.  The alternative assessments I'm looking
>for could take any form but should be usable on a large scale.
>While our initial project is small (one school) if we are to
>eventually move forward with a model that might be generalized
>elsewhere, we must be able to effectively and efficiently administer
>the exams.  While this is not strictly Rasch, I am looking (read:
>begging) for any suggestions.  As this is an international list, the
>assessments should be in English, or easily translatable without too
>many cultural specifics that would need to be addressed.
>
>We are open to virtually anything - so here's a chance to
>demonstrate the effectiveness of alternatives to MCQ.
>
>Many thanks,
>Gregory
>
>Gregory E. Stone, Ph.D., M.A.
>
>Assistant Professor of Research and Measurement
>The Judith Herb College of Education
>The University of Toledo, Mailstop #914
>Toledo, OH 43606   419-530-7224
>
>Editorial Board, Journal of Applied Measurement     www.jampress.org
>
>Board of Directors, American Board for Certification of Teacher
>Excellence     www.abcte.org
>
>For information about the Research and Measurement Programs at The
>University of Toledo and careers in psychometrics, statistics and
>evaluation, email gregory.stone at utoledo.edu.

Trevor G BOND Ph D
Professor and Head of Dept
Educational Psychology, Counselling & Learning Needs
D2-2F-01A EPCL Dept.
Hong Kong Institute of Education
10 Lo Ping Rd, Tai Po
New Territories HONG KONG