[Rasch] Not a Fan of Lexiles?

Trevor Bond trevor.bond at jcu.edu.au
Thu Nov 1 11:34:22 EST 2007

>Steve Lang said inter alia:
>We like to say that "Rasch puts the people back in testings." The
>revolution is not in the use of the model or a particular piece of
>software, but comes with the new insights that were originally
>revealed because the model and software encouraged a different way
>of thinking.

Chan and Bode have a paper coming up in the  Journal of Neurology,
Neurosurgery and Psychiatry:
Chan RCK, Bode RK. Analysis of patient and proxy ratings on the
dysexecutive questionnaire: an application of Rasch analysis.

It reveals beautifully when raw scores don't add up. Mean scores for
patients and their proxies on the Dysexecutive Questionnaire (DEX)
provided another confirmation of previous findings: patient and
proxies yield the same total scores. Clinicians using the DEX expect
that a positive difference between proxy (e.g. family) rating totals
and patient self-rating totals implicates dysexecutive function. The
Chan and Bode (Rasch) analysis reveals mis-fit and bi-directional DIF.

Not a big "Wow!" to be sure...but a potential life-changing finding
about the the standard diagnostic device in the field:  new insights
revealed because the model and software encouraged a different way of
thinking

Collegially
Trevor
--