[Rasch] Not a Fan of Lexiles?

Paul Barrett pbarrett at hoganassessments.com
Fri Nov 2 14:41:09 EST 2007

________________________________

	From: rasch-bounces at acer.edu.au
[mailto:rasch-bounces at acer.edu.au] On Behalf Of Mike Linacre (RMT)
	Sent: Friday, November 02, 2007 1:59 PM
	To: rasch at acer.edu.au
	Subject: RE: [Rasch] Not a Fan of Lexiles?

	Physicists, cooks and carpenters all have a "model" of what they
want, and they do their best to obtain it - even if it means specifying,
selecting, constructing the data that conforms to their models. But
social scientists, in general, reject this approach. But which approach
has been more productive?

And physicists, cooks, and carpenters can all manipulate/equate
magnitudes of their variables empirically - which makes a big difference
to evaluating the veracity of a "measurement" application.

But this kind of discussion "look, all things Rasch is wonderful" -vs-
my "is it really" response  is going nowhere.

I like Mark Moulton's perspective though - that is a very interesting
way of looking at the Rasch model.

Regards ... Paul

Paul Barrett, Ph.D.

2622 East 21st Street | Tulsa, OK  74114

Chief Research Scientist

Office | 918.749.0632  Fax | 918.749.0635

pbarrett at hoganassessments.com

hoganassessments.com <http://www.hoganassessments.com/>