[Rasch] Noise in observations ...

Lang, William Steve WSLang at tempest.coedu.usf.edu
Sun Nov 4 22:45:43 EST 2007

Should we suggest, as in physics, the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?  Do items (as observation/measurements) have limits to EVER precisely observe the construct "perfectly"?

Without reverting to skinning Schrodinger's cat, I still wonder if CTT would ever have developed the tool kit to explain measurement as well as Rasch?  Perhaps, as Paul suggests, CTT may have developed stronger methods if someone had not been wasting time on "IRT".

On the other hand, the question of better tools would likely never even have been asked if Ben had not written, "The truth is that the so-called measurements we now make in educational testing are no damn good!". The historical evidence is not speculative.  Rasch has improved our measurement and continues to develop as a viable model today.

The economic decision of which bathroom scale is the best buy is a different issue.

Steve Lang
University of South Florida