[Rasch] Noise in observations ...

David Andrich david.andrich at uwa.edu.au
Mon Nov 5 11:51:57 EST 2007

Regarding this point from Mike Linacre, I have attached a paper that follows
directly from the logic of the Rasch model - which is much more readily
understood with the Poisson distribution. That is, that as the unit of
analysis is reduced, then the precision is increased but the variance in the
smaller unit is also increased. I would be interested in any comments on the
paper. This is directly analogous to "the more randomness in minor details,
the stronger the sense of historical truth". We have more variance in the
smaller unit, but we have more precision in the estimate.  It seems a great
insight for Gerd Theissen to see this realtionship qualitatively in history.

David

David Andrich, BSc., MEd. (UWA), PhD (Chic), FASSA
Chapple Chair, Graduate School of Education
The University of Western Australia
35 Stirling Highway
Crawley  6009
Western AUSTRALIA
Telephone: +61 (0) 8 6488 1085
Fax:          +61 (0) 8 6488 1052
MBDP: M428
Email: david.andrich at uwa.edu.au
On line Rasch measurement course July - November 2007
http://www.education.uwa.edu.au/httpwww.education.uwa.edu.aunews/on_line_cou
rse
<blocked::http://www.education.uwa.edu.au/httpwww.education.uwa.edu.aunews/o
n_line_course>
3rd International Conference in Rasch measurement, Perth, Australia
http://www.education.uwa.edu.au/httpwww.education.uwa.edu.aunews/rasch_confe
rence
<blocked::http://www.education.uwa.edu.au/httpwww.education.uwa.edu.aunews/r
asch_conference>  <blocked::http://www.education.uwa.edu.au/news>