[Rasch] Models of unidimensional constructs have their limitations

Rod O'Connor rodocon at rodoconnorassoc.com
Tue Nov 6 16:25:39 EST 2007

Hello Trevor, very nice to hear from you (I recall your earlier
assistance...).

I have no doubt one could fit global HQoL data to a single Rasch scale
(any notion can be/is one construct, and multiple items can generally be
identified), however I fear that people might think this is
automatically a good thing and that having done so the healthcare
researcher has 'done their job'.  Unfortunately in principle such a
scale might not be particularly helpful in 'improving healthcare',
potentially offering little more than a 'do you feel better' question
(except the scale would have more than one item).  My view is that a
HQoL measure useful for healthcare improvement needs to not only provide
an indication of extent but also play a diagnostic role (allow
'formative' as well as 'summative' evaluation), identifying where and
how a change has occurred, and hence where treatment could usefully be
targeted.

Of course it all depends on the criteria by which one would assess
success for the measure, which should always be set-up first.
Personally I think an overtly multi-dimensional assessment is likely to
be needed, with an accompanying complex scoring/combination rule to
predict values consistent with patient judgement.

Warm regards,
Rod

_Trevor Bond said the following on 6/11/2007 3:34 PM:_