[Rasch] qualitatively described, quantitatively responded

Agustin Tristan ici_kalt at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 7 10:28:32 EST 2007

shirin shirazi <shirin71_shirazi at hotmail.com> wrote:      .hmmessage P  {  margin:0px;  padding:0px  }  body.hmmessage  {  FONT-SIZE: 10pt;  FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma  }
Hi

Thanks for your concern.

I have thirty essays to rate. There is a rating scale consisting of nine descriptors. The first one describes the writing ability of the writer as a "fully competent". If the writer suits this level, he gets nine. If he adequately responds to the task, it brings him down to eight and the same process continues up until zero where there is no response to the task. I wonder how these numbers have been given to these qualitative words. Fully 9, adequately 8, to some extent 7, partially 6, ...

The second question is that why do we have a range of descriptors from nine (at most) to three (at least)?

Third why don't we have qualitative words to describe levels of performance since descriptors are describing the proficiency in qualitative manner, for example instead of earning a 9 in IELTS, we allocate a word such as competent or incompetent or effective or ineffective which are in harmony with qualitative words appearing in descriptors. Do we use numbers since they are more tangible (People come to grips with them easily)?

Thanks in advance and your help is greatly appreciated.

Best
Shirin