[Rasch] qualitatively described, quantitatively responded

Trevor Bond trevor.bond at jcu.edu.au
Wed Nov 7 11:52:10 EST 2007

Shirin's problem is now much clearer and the advice much more applicable

Augustin's advice is important:
Once you have a meaning of the measures, proceed on reverse
direction, try to identify the construct involved with the positions
on the scale and define from less to more the best suitable names,
but not only: poor, medium, good, excellent and so forth, but include
a description, such as:
a) excellent is able to write phrases with a correct syntax, make
interpretacions, propose conclusions, etc.
b) poor is able to write incoherent phrases, bad use of construction
rules, etc.
hope this helps

TGB:
BUT, I would be not be surprised at all to find that list members
could provide Shirin with exemplars of scalable scoring systems for
essay writing. Even if those scoring rubrics do not solve the
problem, they will certainly help....references, pls colleagues?

and remember:
Even if some clever professor can develop a 9-level hierarchy of
Grammar usage (for example);
it is unlikely that all those fine distinctions will be applicable in
the essays you are grading and
unlikely examiners will  be able to judge reliably between the 9
categories, anyhow.

Another note: although Andrich's original work set out to solve the
essay scoring problem in particular (if my memory serves me well), I
would venture that the PCM rather than the RSM is now used more
frequently with essay scoring. (I am not referring to the thresholds
issue.)

best
TGB

--