[Rasch] Models of unidimensional constructshavetheirlimitations:what is a "good thing"?

Paul Barrett pbarrett at hoganassessments.com
Fri Nov 9 09:41:16 EST 2007

________________________________

	From: Stephanou, Andrew [mailto:Stephanou at acer.edu.au]
	Sent: Friday, November 09, 2007 11:32 AM
	To: Paul Barrett
	Cc: rasch at acer.edu.au
	Subject: RE: [Rasch] Models of unidimensional
constructshavetheirlimitations:what is a "good thing"?

	For what concerns temperature, the definitions you mention are
text book definitions that refer to simple and specific contexts. I do
not know why you also mention heat. Heat is not temperature. The best I
can do for you is to refer you to a paper about the meaning of
temperature and how poorly it is understood by physics teachers.

	Ralph Baierlein
<http://scitation.aip.org/vsearch/servlet/VerityServlet?KEY=PHTEAH&possi
ble1=Baierlein%2C+Ralph&possible1zone=author&maxdisp=25&smode=strresults
&aqs=true> , The meaning of temperature, Physics Teacher, 28, 94 (1990)
(http://scitation.aip.org/tpt/)

Hello Andrew

I only mentioned Heat to show how the definition of temperature involves
two other constructs, heat and energy - not that they are definitional
of it (being fair to the "complexity" issue)

I do not understand why you wrote that "neuropsychological test results
are affected by multiple factors, but usually age and education are the
only variables by which norms are stratified".

I didn't. That was the abstract to the paper, I provided it in my
message only to show how these authors used that term "reading ability".

Regards .. Paul

Paul Barrett, Ph.D.

2622 East 21st Street | Tulsa, OK  74114

Chief Research Scientist

Office | 918.749.0632  Fax | 918.749.0635

pbarrett at hoganassessments.com

hoganassessments.com <http://www.hoganassessments.com/>