[Rasch] Validation & Rasch

Ev Smith evsmith at uic.edu
Fri Nov 23 11:46:28 EST 2007

The Smith (2001) has been updated and expand on using Messick and the
Medical Outcomes Trust conceptualizations of validity in:

Wolfe, E.W., & Smith, Jr., E.V. (2007) Instrument Development Tools and
Activities for Measure Validation Using Rasch Models: Part I­Instrument
Development Tools. In E.V. Smith, Jr. & R.M. Smith (Eds.), Rasch
Measurement: Advanced and Specialized Applications (pp. 202-242). Maple
Grove, MN: JAM Press.

Wolfe, E.W., & Smith, Jr., E.V. (2007) Instrument Development Tools and
Activities for Measure Validation Using Rasch Models: Part II­Validation
Activities. In E.V. Smith, Jr. & R.M. Smith (Eds.), Rasch Measurement:
Advanced and Specialized Applications (pp. 243-290). Maple Grove, MN: JAM
Press.

Everett

At 05:23 PM 11/22/2007, Trevor Bond wrote:
>Dear James,
>Mike reminds us of the crucial part :
>A. Construct validity: Investigating what the test is actually measuring,
>usually through the item hierarchy from less to more.
>That approach is covered in Wilson's Constructing Measures  and Bond & Fox
>2nd ed.
>Wilson, M. (2005). Constructing measures: an item response modeling
>approach. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
>Bond, T. G., & Fox, C. M. (2007). Applying the Rasch model: Fundamental
>measurement in the human sciences (2nd ed.) Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum
>Associates.
>
>The papers on the how to, include:
>Smith, E.V., Jr. (2001). Evidence for the reliability of measures and
>validity of measure interpretation: A Rasch measurement perspective.
>Journal of Applied Measurement, 2(3), 281-311.
>Bond, T. G. (2004). Validity and assessment: a Rasch measurement
>perspective. Metodologia de las Ciencias del Comportamiento, 5(2), 179-194.
>
>Trying to use any validation technique without a clear a priori
>conceptualization of the object of attention, a theoretically driven
>account about how the underlying latent trait should be expressed
>empirically as item and person behaviour, leaves us with mere pragmatic
>interval-level number-juggling.
>
>Best wishes
>Trevor
>
>--
>Trevor G BOND Ph D
>Professor and Head of Dept
>Educational Psychology, Counselling & Learning Needs
>D2-2F-01A EPCL Dept.
>Hong Kong Institute of Education
>10 Lo Ping Rd, Tai Po
>New Territories HONG KONG
>
>Voice: (852) 2948 8473
>Fax:  (852) 2948 7983
>Mob:

Everett Smith, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Educational Psychology
Director, Measurement, Evaluation, Statistics, and Assessment Lab
(http://www.uic.edu/depts/educ/mesalab/)
Associate Editor, Journal of Applied Measurement (http://www.jampress.org)
For the Ph.D. in MESA visit http://www.uic.edu/educ/epsy/mesa.html
University of Illinois at Chicago