[Rasch] Units of measurement in the social sciences

Stephen Humphry stephen.humphry at uwa.edu.au
Thu Oct 18 12:01:44 EST 2007

Anthony, good question. Mark, you make some good oversvations about what I
think are key considerations.

In the physical sciences, units are specific amounts of specific kinds of
quantites. For example, 1 cm is a unit of length, 1 kg a unit of mass, 1
newton a unit of force and so on.

In the physical sciences, the size of the unit of an instrument depends upon
the empirical construction of the instrument and the conditions under which
it is used. Clearly, the empirical construction is also designed so that a
particular kind of quantity is measured.

Similarly, when the Rasch model is applied, the kind of quantity measured
depends upon the way the instrument is designed. The size of the unit should
also depend upon features of the empirical construction of the instrument
and the conditions under which it is used. In more general terms, using a
term emphasized by Rasch, the kind of quantity and the size of the unit
should both depend upon the frame of reference for measurement.

Returning to a physical example, if a particular distance or length is D = 5
cm, then 5 is a measurement of a specific kind of quanity (distance) in a
particular unit (cm). As a measurement, the value 5 has an implied unit of
measurement of distance; i.e. a cm. The unit depends upon the empirical
construction of the instrument. To obtain measurments in that unit also
depend upon the way the instrument is used and the conditions under which it
is used.

A logit value is a number that has a probabilistic interpretation with
respect to specific well-defined events (e.g. success on an item). I do not
think it is useful to read 2 logits as 2 units, such as 2 cm or 2 kg. Logit
values may relate to different kinds of quantities. Logit is a generic term
for values that relate to many different kinds of quantities. In addition,
for a given kind, the size of the unit depends on relevant characteristics
of the frame of reference.

For a more complete and precise explanation of this analysis of the unit in
the Rasch model, see
http://wwwlib.murdoch.edu.au/adt/browse/view/adt-MU20050830.95143  A shorter
and more accessible version should be appearing in a JAM article next year
though.

Cheers,

Steve.

Dr Stephen Humphry