[Rasch] Units of measurement in the social sciences

Stephen Humphry stephen.humphry at uwa.edu.au
Tue Oct 23 15:41:42 EST 2007

Hi Andrew.

It is indeed theoretically possible to measure in an infinite number of
units, each having a different size, provided the attribute has the
necessary structure. Nevertheless, to measure in any particular unit
requires deliberate and careful construction of the instrument and use of
the instrument under controlled conditions. The unit in terms of which
measurements are expressed can be arbitrarily chosen, but you cannot gain
precision that does not exist given the instrument and conditions. The unit
in terms of which measurments are obtained depends upon empirical features
of the instrument and, more generally, the observational frame of reference.
On this, Andrich (2003) made a distinction between the arbitrary and natural
unit and showed that precision is inversely proportional to the size of the
unit and that precision is reflected in the theoretical distribution of
repeated measurements. The unit plays a genuinely non-arbitrary role.

This is consistent with the SI system of units, and with the definition of
the Lexile you have just given. The definitions of all base SI units make
reference to empirical conditions. Another interesting point is that the
definitions of all SI units, base and derived, make reference to other kinds
of quantities. For example, the kelvin is a fraction of the triple point of
water, the definition of which involves pressure. There is one exception,
the kg. However, even the definition of the kg originally involved volume.
The universality with which a unit can be defined depends upon these
features of the definitions.

I agree the selection of a unit of measurement certainly doesn't bestow
ontological privelege on that unit over others. I also agree there is
nothing special about the unit in terms of which measurements are expressed.
However, I think there is something unique, ontologically, about the unit in
terms of which measurements are actually made because it is not possible to
gain (or lose) precision that does not exist given the instrument and more
generally the observational frame of reference.

Great discussion.

Cheers,

Steve

Andrich, D. (2003). On the distribution of measurements in units that are
not arbitrary. Social Science Information, 42, 557-589.

  _____