[Rasch] Not a Fan of Lexiles?

Paul Barrett pbarrett at hoganassessments.com
Wed Oct 31 11:22:22 EST 2007

________________________________

	From: rasch-bounces at acer.edu.au
[mailto:rasch-bounces at acer.edu.au] On Behalf Of Mike Linacre (RMT)
	Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 10:56 AM
	To: rasch at acer.edu.au
	Subject: RE: [Rasch] Not a Fan of Lexiles?

	Friends:

	The statement "could have been achieved using conventional
deterministic/actuarial score algorithms" is true of many Rasch-based
findings.

	So why haven't those achievements been made prior to Rasch?

Hello Mike

I thought they were. Which is why there are no "stand out" achievements
or results using Rasch/IRT (which had not already been achieved using
other methods - however approximately or clumsily) which come to mind.

Yes, there are many applications using Rasch/IRT which show
"differences" between the "old" and "new" - but these differences don't
seem to amount to anything which has fundamentally changed the way we
think about human behavior or cognitions, or predictions we might have
made using our "measures".

And we've had 50 years to wait for something.

Frankly, it is only the Metametrics work which seems to qualify for the
"stand-out" epithet .. and look how much of that was based upon
empirical investigations of the phenomena of interest.

I'm not seeking to convince anyone about anything - but just commenting
on why some (like me) might just look at the eulogies for Rasch or IRT,
and end up walking away from it as a "productive" methodology. Largely
because what may be defined as productive in science is not relevant to
how  "productive" is defined in educational or psychometrics circles?

Regards ... Paul

Paul Barrett, Ph.D.

2622 East 21st Street | Tulsa, OK  74114

Chief Research Scientist

Office | 918.749.0632  Fax | 918.749.0635

pbarrett at hoganassessments.com

hoganassessments.com <http://www.hoganassessments.com/>