[Rasch] Why are Rasch measures linear?

David Andrich david.andrich at uwa.edu.au
Mon Sep 3 14:27:42 EST 2007

Anthony. There are different levels at which to consider the linearity. The
simplest is just that in the model, the difficulty and ability parameters
are additive in giving a probability of a response, which in the dichotomous
case is a 0 or 1. Then it is a consequence of the model that the total score
is sufficient for the person parameter. This parameter can be eliminated in
estimating the item parameters. The item parameters enter into the
estimation equation additively. If you are comparing person parameters, they
also enter additively in the equation. The relationship between the estimate
of the ability and each raw score for a particular set of items is non
linear. Hence it is said that the parameters are additve, and the raw scores
are not.
Thus while one can get into issues of additivity and fundamental measurement
and the Rasch model, it is not necessary to understand additivity in the
model with respect to the parameters, and the non-additivity of the raw
scores. That can be understood within the algebra of the model.

Hope this helps.

David

David Andrich, BSc., MEd. (UWA), PhD (Chic), FASSA
Chapple Chair, Graduate School of Education
The University of Western Australia
35 Stirling Highway
Crawley  6009
Western AUSTRALIA
Telephone: +61 (0) 8 6488 1085
Fax:          +61 (0) 8 6488 1052
MBDP: M428
Email: david.andrich at uwa.edu.au
On line Rasch measurement course July - November 2007
http://www.education.uwa.edu.au/httpwww.education.uwa.edu.aunews/on_line_cou
rse
<blocked::http://www.education.uwa.edu.au/httpwww.education.uwa.edu.aunews/o
n_line_course>
3rd International Conference in Rasch measurement, Perth, Australia
http://www.education.uwa.edu.au/httpwww.education.uwa.edu.aunews/rasch_confe
rence
<blocked::http://www.education.uwa.edu.au/httpwww.education.uwa.edu.aunews/r
asch_conference>  <blocked::http://www.education.uwa.edu.au/news>