[Rasch] Why are Rasch measures linear?

Trevor Bond trevor.bond at jcu.edu.au
Tue Sep 4 11:00:17 EST 2007

><Perhaps it is a two-stage process - construct a Rasch variable,
>then seek to confirm the linear properties via other kinds of
>empirical observations where linear magnitudes of the variable
>should yield specific, related, magnitudes of other outcomes - in
>contrast to simple sumscore or other kinds of magnitude scoring
>(ordinal classes etc.).>

Paul's two measurement parts:
a the Rasch bit...which is what the original question was about and
b the theoretical psychological epistemological philosophical bit
which only a few even concern themselves with...but Paul obsesses
about

While we a doing a, we should never forget the challenge of trying to do b

We can use the excuse: No one else gives a rodent's posterior so why should we?

but following that logic we would not be using Rasch measurement would we?

As for aligning our units with the underlying neuro-physiological
electro-chemical processes...give us a break!

with a smile
Trevor
--
Trevor G BOND Ph D