[Rasch] Why are Rasch measures linear?

Paul Barrett pbarrett at hoganassessments.com
Tue Sep 4 12:32:27 EST 2007

________________________________

	From: Trevor Bond [mailto:trevor.bond at jcu.edu.au]
	Sent: Tuesday, September 04, 2007 1:00 PM
	To: Stephanou, Andrew; Paul Barrett; rasch at acer.edu.au
	Subject: RE: [Rasch] Why are Rasch measures linear?

		As for aligning our units with the underlying
neuro-physiological electro-chemical processes...give us a break!

Hello Trevor!!

Please take many breaks  - I didn't mean anything as overtly
reductionist as the statement above.

I was just looking at the issue that if a variable is constructed as
linear via Rasch scaling, how might we test whether the magnitudes from
this constructed variable can be distinguished from, for example, simple
sum-score magnitudes, in terms of the consequences of using each to
generate measures and predictions in the real world, or in terms of
their observed relations to other theoretically-relevant variables.

Regards .. Paul
Paul Barrett                                       918.749-0632 x 326
Chief Research Scientist                        Skype: pbar088
Hogan Assessment Systems Inc.
2622 East 21st St., Tulsa, OK 74114

Email: pbarrett at hoganassessments.com
<mailto:pbarrett at hoganassessments.com>