[Rasch] underfitting items and response rate

Trevor Bond trevor.bond at jcu.edu.au
Tue Sep 18 09:46:06 EST 2007

Dear Susan

11 scales (!!!) How many items on each?
what is the response format? Likert? How may response options?
The response load looks a bit tough on your sample...Is that why they skip?
I am all for understanding the variable first.

best

At 4:33 PM -0400 9/17/07, Gracia, Susan wrote:
>Hello-
>I administered an online survey last year as a pre-test for an
>educational intervention.  It's almost time for me to administer the
>post-test.  The survey consists of 11 scales that I want to analyze
>using Rasch methods.  Ultimately, I want to look at any change that
>took place over the past year on each of the 11 variables.
>
>Before administering the post-test, I have looked at the fit
>statistics for the items in the various scales.  I would like to
>eliminate any items that do not fit the model and are not part of
>the variables I'm interested in.  There's also some appeal to me in
>shortening the survey and reducing burden on the respondents.
>
>I have approximately 150 respondents to the presurvey.  On each of
>the scales, there's no problem with underfitting items.  Some
>scales, however, do have overfitting items with very low mean
>squares (e.g., ,38, .02, etc.).  Looking more closely, I see that
>those items are the ones that most people skipped.  They might have
>respondents' points of view.
>
>I could eliminate those items now.  However, I suspect that some of
>these items actually do belong on the variable(s) but they
>represented situations that respondents had never encountered or did
>not understand.  After a year in the program, I think their
>
>So, I am torn between reducing the number of items based on this
>preliminary items (and probably increasing my response rate because
>the survey will be shorter) versus leaving the survey as is.  If I
>leave the survey as is and the same items don't fit the second time,
>I will eliminate them from any analyses of change.  If the items fit
>the second time around, I will learn more about the variables I'm
>interested in, but I realize that I won't be able to speak much
>about change in respondents on items since almost noone responded to
>them the first time.
>
>How would you recommend that I proceed?  Any assistance would be
>most appreciated.
>
>Thank you.
>
>Susan Gracia, PhD
>Associate Professor, Educational Leadership Program
>Dept. of Counseling, Educational Leadership, and School Psychology
>Director of Assessment, Feinstein School of Education and Human Development
>Adams 103
>Rhode Island College
>600 Mount Pleasant Avenue
>Providence, RI 02908-1991
>tel.:  401-456-8577
>email:  sgracia at ric.edu

Trevor G BOND Ph D
Professor and Head of Dept
Educational Psychology, Counselling & Learning Needs
D2-2F-01A EPCL Dept.
Hong Kong Institute of Education
10 Lo Ping Rd, Tai Po
New Territories HONG KONG