[Rasch] Software for Poisson models

Stuart Luppescu s-luppescu at uchicago.edu
Tue Apr 1 11:54:07 EST 2008

Hello, I'm trying to get a measure of the amount of crime in census
tracts. We have data on the total population of each tract, and the
number of a variety of crimes across a 12-month time period.

I analyzed the data with Facets in a Poisson model, and the results
looked very reasonable. Murder was the most difficult index crime
against person, and robbery the easiest, with others in the middle.
However, the resulting measures was less predictive than just the log
count of the number of crimes. I think the reason for this is because
Facets accepts data only between 1 and 255 for Poisson models, so I had
to compress the range in the numbers of some of these crime data, and so
some information got lost.

I was wondering if any other software (RUMM? Conquest?) can handle
Poisson models with greater ranges of data.
--
Stuart Luppescu -=- s-luppescu .at. uchicago.edu
University of Chicago (^_^)/ CCSR